Norman Lodge No.1334 in the Province of Co.Durham under UGLE

Lodge History - 1870 to 2016

 

PAST MASTERS OF THE LODGE
1870/1 Rev. George R. Bulman 1923 William Hedley 1973 Dick Atkinson
1872 James Young 1924 Alfred G. Funnell 1974 Frank Bailey
1873 John Wortley 1925 R. G. I. Dobson 1975 John Reginald Stout
1874 William Donkin 1926 John Brown
1976 Stanley Moody
1875 James Laidler 1927 C. Wilkinson
1977 Robert Atkinson
1876 William Donkin 1928 Thomas P. Bramwell 1978 Wllfred A. Jones
1877 George Bailes 1929 Ronald Kennedy 1979 Lawrence Embleton
1878 Christopher Rowlandson 1930 Thomas Mole 1980 Barry Funnell
1879 Rev. Arthur J. Williams 1931 Frederick Potts 1981 Murray Horseman
1880 Charles E. Barnes 1932 Arnold Brown
1982 Frank Borthwick
1881 Jacob Barker 1933 John O. Knight May 1983 Ian Watson
1882 William Gray 1934 Thomas Nixon 1984 Denis Munroe Moir
1883 Daniel Whitehead 1935 James B. Liddle 1985 Leslie Burnley
1884 J. F. Hiller 1936 Louis C. Bramwell 1986 Brian G. Atkinson
1885 William C. Robinson 1937 Alfred Rutherford 1987 Kenneth Embleton
1886 Lionel Booth 1938 William E. Massey 1988 John Hopper
1887 Robert Hauxwell 1939 Leopold Vickers
1989 Ray Dobson
1888 George S. Shaw 1940 William D. Dodds
1990 Derek Rodgers
1889 James Chambers 1941 George W. Ragg
1991 Derek Sproates
1890 William Sanderson 1942 Thomas Westthorp 1992 Allan N. Gibson
1891 Edward Jepson 1943 Ernest A. Gallimore 1993 Alan Fred Dufton
1892/3 Samuel Wilkinson 1944 Arthur T. Picton 1994 Denis E. Lascelles
1894 Thomas Westrope 1945 James W. Kirkby 1995 James Barry Smith
1895 James Willan 1946 James R. Cogan
1996 John Frisby
1896/7 Christopher Rowlandson 1947 John W. Ellis
1997 Ian Smith
1898 William T. Bowden 1948 William J. Gibbons 1998 J. Anthony Elliott
1899 Thomas Laidler 1949 Walter S. Turnbull 1999 Evan Ellis Jones
1900 Thomas J. R. Hindmarsh 1950 William S. Searle
2000 Terence Creed
1901 Ralph William Salkeld 1951 William Showler 2001 Peter Fraser Gow
1902 Richard Tyson 1952 Joseph Banks Lawson
2002 Clive Dawson
1903 George A. Carpenter 1953 George R. Whitfield 2003 Raymond Hodgson
1904 John T. E. Dickenson 1954 Thomas Ord Eltringham
2004 Neil Henderson
1905 William Fulthorpe 1955 Thomas Foster Dixon 2005 Brian A. McBride
1906 Henry Smith 1956 Joseph C. Simpson 2006 Arthur C. Lockyear
1907 William Walton Dunn 1957 George A. Duke 2007 Michael Eve
1908 Thomas Harker 1958 John Wolstenholme 2008 Alan Robert Bainbridge
1909 William Henry Wood 1959 George Dent 2009 David John Atkinson
1910 Albert Richardson 1960 Arthur William Woods 2010 David John Atkinson
1911 John Wylam 1961 George Wallace Milner 2011 David Wheatley
1912 Henry Smith 1962 William T. Davison
2012 Neil Henderson
1913 Jasper Kell 1963 George E. Middlemass
2013 David Wheatley
1914 Edwin Picton 1964 Stanley Pearson
2014 Frederick Archer Bird
1915 George Gray 1965 John Patterson 2015 Paul Hardman
1916 William H. Remington 1966 Frank Price Jackson  
1917 John George Thompson 1967 Frederick B. Dennison  
1918 Charles Tindale 1968 Norman S. Williamson  
1919 Robert hewitt 1969 John Fitzpatrick
 
1920 Frank W. Goodyear 1970 Cecil Gibson Duncan  
1921 William D. Holmes 1971 A.W. Woods  
1922 Arthur Hepburn 1972 George Pennington  
Monday 28 November 1870 saw the birth of Norman Lodge No. 1334.
The consecration, however, was only the culmination of what must have been several
months of concentrated effort. We are, of course, a daughter lodge of the Marquis
of Granby Lodge No.124 and it will be no surprise to learn that the nine brethren who
signed the petition to Grand Lodge were all members of that lodge. As indeed were
the great majority who joined them in the period immediately following the
consecration.
Extract from the Durham Chronicle of Friday, 25th November 1870:
"THE NORMAN LODGE OF FREEMASONS, DURHAM. ---- The consecration of the
new Norman Lodge, 1334 will take place at the Masonic Hall, Old Elvet, in this city on
Monday next. The ceremony will be performed by the Right Worshipful Brother John
Fawcett, Esq., Provincial Grand Master, assisted by the Right Worshipful Brother
Sir Hedworth Williamson Bart., M.P., Deputy Provincial Grand Master and officers
of the Provincial Grand Lodge. The brethren will partake of luncheon in the banqueting
room at 3 o'clock . The officers of the new lodge, as named in the warrant, are
Bro. G. R. Bulmer, Worshipful Master; Bro. James Young, Senior Warden;
Bro. John Wortley, Junior Warden. Bro. Wm. Donkin is the secretary "pro tem".
Extract from the Durham Chronicle of Friday, 2nd December 1870:
"On Monday last, R.W.P.G.M., John Fawcett, Esq.,consecrated a new lodge in this
city, by the title of "Norman". He was assisted by the D.P.G.M. (Sir Hedworth Williamson Bart., M.P.,) the P.G.S.W. (Rev. G. P. Wilkinson), the P.G.J.W. (- Groves Esq.), the P.G.S.
and other P.G. Officers. The Rev. J. Cundill officiated as the P.G.C. On conclusion of
the ceremony, the Rev. G. R. Bulman P.G.C., having been installed as W. M. of the
new lodge, proceeded to invest the following officers:- S.W., Bro. J. Young; J.W.,
Bro. J. Wortley; chaplain, Bro. W. Donkin; S.D., Bro. W. Sarsfield; J.D.,
Bro. Henry Robson; S.S., Bro. G. Greenwell.
The appointment of J.G., J.S., and Tyler were deferred. After the close of the lodge,
the brethren adjourned to the banqueting-room, where the excellent cold collation was admirably served by Mrs, Brown of the Three Tuns Hotel".
This country of ours has always been closely involved with international affairs;
events in Europe being of particular significance. During the period leading up to the consecration of the Lodge the Franco-Prussian war was at its height with the
investment of Paris and that city's capitulation being imminently expected;
Garibaldi was active in the south of France; the Turks and Russians were
approaching conflict and Spain was busy electing a new king. The newspapers of the
time are full of these events and showing concern over the possibility of British
involvement. Nearer to home there was a smallpox outbreak in Hartlepool and, in the
week prior to the consecration there was a fatal and serious explosion at Wingate
Colliery.
These and other historical events notwithstanding, the country in general and, in
particular the founders of the Lodge went quietly and efficiently about their business.
At the last meeting of the founders a fortnight before the event, a unanimous motion was passed that William Brown of the Three Tuns Hotel be instructed to supply luncheon, at a cost of 4 shillings per head.
The early years in any organisation's life is a period of hard and continuous work to
consolidate and firmly establish a sound foundation. Norman Lodge is no exception
to this rule. In addition to the nineteen joining members and four candidates proposed at the consecration, sixty-three members were added to the ranks during the first ten years;
a third of that number being joining members from various parts of the province.
The Lodge's first candidate was William Singlehurst; proposed at the consecration
ceremony; initiated and made Tyler on 14 December 1870, the second regular
meeting. Singlehurst's remuneration as Tyler was £4 per annum plus his meal at
banquets and two glasses of spirits or the equivalent in ale, wine, or porter.
Although, as we can see there was no shortage of candidates, there must have been considerable difficulty in arranging for their attendance on the dates planned because,
in 1872 a resolution was passed calling for the addition of one guinea to the initiation
fee for candidates who were admitted at special emergency meetings. This, one
assumes, was necessitated by the nature of their employment, many of them were
commercial travellers and other professions whose work regularly took them away
from the city.
Busy though the Lodge was during this period it was not isolated from outside events
either nationally or masonically. For example, in February of 1872 resolutions were duly
passed, to send messages of congratulation to Queen Victoria and to H.R.H. The Prince
of Wales, on the Prince's recovery from a protracted and dangerous illness. In March
and April of that year their replies are recorded.
Our Victorian forbears were prolific in displays of loyalty of this nature, and the letter to
Queen Victoria and the reply on her behalf are reproduced below:
Extracted from the minutes of 21st February 1872:
"To Her Most Gracious Majesty The Queen.
The humble address of the Worshipful Master, Wardens, and Brethren of the Norman
Lodge of Freemasons, No. 1334, holden in the City of Durham.
May it please your Majesty,
We, the Worshipful Master, Wardens, and Brethren of the Norman Lodge of
Freemasons, No. 1334, desire most humbly and respectfully to offer to your Majesty
our dutiful and sincere congratulations upon the recovery of His Royal Highness the
Prince of Wales from his recent dangerous and protracted illness.
During the severe trial to which the illness of His Royal Highness subjected your
Majesty, we, in conjunction with all your Majesty's dutiful and attached subjects most
deeply sympathised with your grief, and joined in earnest prayer to the Most High that
your Royal son might be spared to your Majesty and to a sorrowing nation.
We now, therefore, most gratefully join in the universal expression of thanksgiving to
the Almighty that it has pleased Him to restore His Royal Highness to health and to
the exalted duties of his nation.
Imbued with the strongest feelings of loyalty and attachment to your Most Gracious
Majesty and to your Royal House, we fervently pray that your Majesty may be blessed
with health and strength for long years to reign over a devoted and contented people.
Given under our hands in open lodge this twenty-first day of February, one thousand
eight hundred and seventy two.
James Young, W.M.
John Wortley, S.W.
William Donkin, J.W.

Extracted from the minutes of 17th April 1872:
"Whitehall, 8 March 1872.
Sir
I have had the honour to lay before the Queen, the loyal and dutiful address of the
Norman Lodge, No.1334, Durham, on the occasion of the illness of His Royal
Highness the Prince of Wales.
I have to inform you that Her Majesty was pleased to receive the address very
graciously.
I am
Sir
Your Obedient Servant
H. A. Bruce."
A reflection of the gracious living of the Victorians can be observed in the fact that in
1871 the Festival of St. John was celebrated by a trip to Saltburn together with the
ladies. One can readily imagine the brethren, in frock-coats and top-hats,
accompanied by their wives, in floor-length dresses and with parasols, strolling along
Saltburn's breezy promenade. Afterwards taking "high-tea" in a sea-front hotel.
A similar excursion was held in 1874; this time in the grounds of Brancepeth Castle.
The early days of the lodge were not entirely filled with hard work. Our predecessors
knew how to enjoy themselves too. Times and attitudes have changed : but only in
detail.
As the story of the Lodge enters its second an subsequent decades there are definite
signs of increasing Masonic maturity and a growth in stature in local masonic circles.
On 20th April 1881, for example, a petition was signed in open lodge on behalf of the
new Whitworth Lodge which was being established at Spennymoor. In addition, one
observes from the minutes regular and gradually more forceful communication with
the Marquis of Granby Lodge, in that Lodge's capacity as Trustee of the Masonic Hall, requesting that improvements be made in the cleaning, heating, repairing, and use of the Masonic Hall.
The reader must not assume, however, after reading the preceding chapters that the
affairs of the lodge were always perfect and harmonious, peaceful and without trouble
and incident. It would indeed be a perfect lodge where everything was all "sweetness
and light" all the time. Too good to be true, in fact. As in all human endeavour,
difficulties were overcome, and furthermore with magnanimity, is first evident in the
minutes of the Installation meeting in January 1898. Until this point there is no
evidence at all of anything untoward.
In January of 1898 W.Bro. C. Rowlandson, P.P.J.G.W., Worshipful Master, installed
his successor after being W.M. for the third time. After the ceremony , during the
banquet, W.Bro. Rowlandson was presented with a "Massive Silver Salva" by
W.Bro. W. Gray, P.P.G.St.B.
In June 1887 five members attended Grand Lodge's celebration of Queen Victoria's
Jubilee.
Following up the interest in the spread of Freemasonry which had been evinced in
the signing of the petition for the Whitworth Lodge in 1881; another petition was
signed in January 1890. This time for the Universities Lodge, the consecration of
which took place on 22nd February 1890, to which all our members were invited.
With the approach of the centenary (the year 1900) the Lodge is again asked to dig
deep into its coffers (or the treasurer's cash-box!) to help to celebrate the event.
The call was for 1900 shillings (£95.00) on behalf of the Hudson Benevolent Fund
and a further 1900 shillings on behalf of the Durham Educational Fund.
The minutes quote the request as being for contributions from individual lodges.
It is not clear, however, what is meant by this because it was decided by the lodge
that the contribution should initially be 2/- per head (£0.10).
The lodge at this time was quite financially sound and looked forward to the twentieth
century with keen anticipation, in common with the rest of the nation and with the
world at large. Norman Lodge's entry into the new epoch was marked by a unique event in its history. In February 1900 the lodge was honoured with a Provincial visit when W.Bro. George Hare Philipson unfurled a banner presented to the lodge by W.Bro. William Gray, P.P.G.St.B. he occasion being recorded in the Newcastle Journal as follows :-
Extract from the Newcastle Journal of 22nd February 1900 :
"Last night there was a large assemblage of Freemasons at the Masonic Hall,
Old Elvet, Durham, upon the occasion of the unfurling of a new banner and a visit of
the Provincial Grand Officers. The events had been looked forward to with
considerable interest by many members in the Province for some time past, and the
attendance of Masons was representative as it was large. The new banner has been
presented to the "Norman" Lodge (1334) by Bro. W. Gray, PM, PJGW, the Deputy
Mayor of Durham, for some years treasurer of the lodge in connection with which the
ceremony of last night took place.
The new banner having been unfurled by Bro. Dr. Philipson, PGSW, was accepted
on behalf of the lodge by the Worshipful Master, (Bro. T. J. R. Hindmarsh), who
suitably acknowledged the handsome gift, and referred to the obligations the lodge
was again under to Bro. Gray for this fresh proof of his devotion to the Norman Lodge."
Unfortunately, 1900 was marked by the death of R.W.Bro. Sir Hedworth Williamson,
Bart., the Provincial Grand Master , who, it will be remembered, officiated at the
consecration when he was Deputy Provincial Grand Master. To this local sorrow was
added national mourning when, in February 1901, Queen Victoria died. This was
marked by the lodge with the passing of a resolution expressing sorrow at her death
while at the same time congratulating King Edward VII on his accession to the throne.
In June 1901, Lord Barnard, the grandfather of our new Provincial Grand Master,
was himself installed to that office in succession to Sir Hedworth Williamson.
One of the most treasured possessions of the Lodge is the Past Masters' panel which
hangs in the banqueting hall at Old Elvet. Mention is first made of this in February
1904, when a resolution was passed seeking permission from the Hall Management to
hang such a panel. In March permission was granted and ultimately, at a banquet after
the Regular Meeting in December 1907 W.Bro. C. Rowlandson, P.P.G.W., unveiled the
board commemorating all of the Lodge's Past Masters. That same meeting of December
1907 had seen the election of W.Bro. William Gray, P.P.J.G.W., as Treasurer for the
twentieth year in succession.
The new wonderful twentieth century which had begun with such high hopes both so far as
the Lodge was concerned and in the wider sphere of international affairs now started to
show the first signs of of the approaching storm. During May and June of 1908 - two short months - the lodge suffered the deaths of W.Bros. Rowlandson and Gray, both revered
Past Masters and Provincial Officers, and also of Bro. Diamond, the Senior Warden.
In December of that same year a letter was received from the Provincial Grand
master drawing the attention of all in the Craft to the financial distress of the working
classes especially in the coastal towns of the Province and asking every lodge and
indeed every member, to make whatever contribution possible. The lodge gave
5 guineas, and a collection amongst the brethren raised a similar sum. During the
hard times then prevailing in the nation as a whole, some of our members must also
have been "feeling the pinch" because in March 1909 a proposal was made that
any surplus from the Almoner's Fund each year should be banked to provide a
"Norman Lodge Immediate Relief Fund". Finally, in May 1910, King Edward VII,
described as "the Protector of the Craft", died to a tumult of national grief.
August 1914. The storm breaks, And the century which had opened fourteen years
earlier in a universal surge of hope for the future now seemed doomed.
Freemasonry as a whole, its constituent lodges, and individual members, was to
prove a bulwark against the deluge. That we are here today is proof of this.
How did it fare in the trial to come?
So far as normal lodge business was concerned, the minute books reveal little
change with the coming of the holocaust which was World War I. Candidates
continue to be initiated, passed, and raised; the usual masonic business is
transacted; visitors continue to attend, and give their fraternal greetings. It was,
nevertheless, quite obvious that all was far from normal elsewhere.
In September 1914 an appeal was received on behalf of the Prince of Wales'
National Relief Fund; when the Lodge contributed 25 Guineas from its funds.
Similarly, in November of that same year it was decided that the Alms collection for
the month should go to the Mayor of Durham's Belgian Relief Fund. The following
month, December, saw the receipt of a letter from the Daily Telegraph on behalf of
the King Albert Fund; and yet another collection was taken.
Also received from Grand Lodge was an instruction to the effect that no fees were to
be paid by members who were forced into being unable to attend their lodges.
Apart from members of the Armed services, of course this instruction applied to
members interned abroad, or otherwise prevented by the war from attending
meetings.
This was followed-up in December 1915 by another letter from Grand Lodge
appealing for funds for internees in German Civilian camps, and also for funds for
wounded soldiers who were housed under awful conditions in Malta. One of our
members was, in fact, interned in Germany, namely Bro. R. Kennedy. A letter
describing his circumstances was sent to the Lodge by his father. As a result of that
letter an attempt was made to make life a little more tolerable for Bro. Kennedy and
some of his companions when the Lodge sent a gift of a football to him.
Thirty-three members of the Lodge served in the forces during World War I; two of
those men laying down their lives alongside countless others who fought in the
"War to end all Wars". It was not until after the Armistice however, that their fates
became known to the brethren who waited at home. Bro. Christopher Brown,
a Lance-Corporal in the Machine Gun Corps and, until his enlistment, S.D. of the
Lodge, died of wounds in 1918 while a prisoner-of war ; Bro. Robert Greenwell,
Company Sergeant-Major in the Yorkshire and Lancashire Regiment, and an
Entered Apprentice, was killed a month before the Armistice, on 2nd October 1918.
Another member spent long years as a prisoner-of -war from1915 until the Armistice,
n amely Bro. T. P. Bramwell, a Sergeant in the D.L.I., and a Steward of the Lodge.
At long last, however, the war came to an end and, in the general euphoria which
prevailed throughout the country in the immediate post-war years, the Lodge was
able to look forward to its Jubilee in 1920. Scars were undoubtedly left on the Lodge
as in any other institution, be it family, community, or nation. But Freemasonry has,
throughout the years, proved itself to be resilient, and the time was now ripe for a
resurgence of the Spirit.
The lodge entered the "Roaring Twenties" in a suitably lively way. The Jubilee was
due to be celebrated in November 1920, and the first mention in the minutes is a
resolution in May 1920 that a suitable Jewel be provided for purchase by the
members. An interesting proviso was that the Jewels should be sold at such a price
as to show a profit: such profit derived therefrom to be a donation to the Royal
Masonic Institution for Boys.
17th November 1920 - The Jubilee Celebration itself. This must have been a truly
Magnificent affair attended, as it was, by the R.W. Provincial Grand Master, the
Deputy Pro.G.M., and other Prov. Grand Officers. A Jubilee Celebration Souvenir brochure was also prepared, and the Toast List incorporated therein reveals a selection of songs, and artistes to sing them, almost worthy of the then current trend in Music Hall items.
The relationship between the Lodge and the City of Durham has always been good. -
Twenty-four of our members having been Mayors of the City. - But in 1928, during the
Mayoralty of W.Bro. F. W. Goodyear, D.C., this relationship must surely have been
flowering, for in September of that year a resolution was passed calling for regular
monthly collections for the "Durham Castle (Mayor of Durham) Restoration Fund".
Reference to a link with Durham Cathedral is found in June 1931 when W.Bro. Edwin Picton, P.P.S.G.D., D.C., presented to the Lodge a Sanctuary Knocker. (A replica of the Sanctuary Knocker on the North Door of the Cathedral).
Further development in the management of the Lodge took place in October 1931
when it was decided to increase the size of the Management Committee by the
inclusion of the S.W., J.W., and all joining P.M.'s. A year later in November 1932, the Lodge gave £35 to the "Durham City Joint Lodge Committee" for the purchase and presentation of an organ"
No reference has so far been made of the connection between the Lodge and the
Royal Arch Chapter which shares its name and number. In 1882 the Lodge had
signed a petition giving rise to the Chapter but, when in successive years towards the
end of the 1880's no meetings had been held the Chapter was erased. In June 1934
when interest in the Chapter revived the Lodge made a gift of £100 towards its
re-establishment.
Freemasonry in general has constantly had to suffer knocks and hardships violent
enough to test its utmost strength and capacity to survive. In February 1936 yet
another blow was struck with the death of King George V.
The Lodge minutes record the shock and sorrow of the event with the passing of a
resolution honouring his memory and the offering of messages of condolence and
consolation to Queen Mary and the Royal Family.
This most unhappy event for Freemasonry was followed on 30 June 1937 by an
Especial Grand Lodge meeting to celebrate the coronation of King George VI.
And in July 1937 yet another Especial meeting of Grand Lodge when the father of our
present M.W.G.M., was installed as Grand Master.
After 3rd September 1939 no one could have been unaware that the country was
again at war. As the dreadful years dragged on, and the horrors of war were
increasingly brought to the forefront of people's minds, and danger became a more
frequent visitor to the feast, one was aware, at times, of nothing else.
Freemasonry in general, however, and, as far as we are concerned here, the
Norman Lodge in particular, became a haven of peace in the nation's troubled waters.
An examination of the minutes of the period yields almost no trace that war raged on.
"U - Boat Alley" was but a few miles away in the North sea; the great ports of Tyne
and Tees were close enough for their sufferings to be felt. Indeed they were felt.
The serenity of the Lodge must have been a tremendous boost to morale.
Probably the first intimation that the Lodge, as a corporate body, had of the effects of
hostilities, was the military take-over of the Dining Hall as a forces canteen.
This occurred on 3rd October 1939 but is not recorded in the minutes until 1946 when
it was handed back. During this whole period the Past Masters' Room was used as
a temporary dining accommodation.
In August 1942 Freemasonry suffered its worst blow of the entire war when, on 25th
of that month R.W.Bro. Air Commodore H.R.H. the Duke of Kent (father of our
present R.W.G.M.) R.W. Grand Master was killed whilst aboard a military aircraft en
route for Gibraltar. The Lodge joined the whole Craft in mourning and, as an
additional mark of respect ordered donations, to be made in equal parts, to the
R.N. Amenities Fund, the Army Comforts fund, and the R.A.F. Comforts.
The prevailing mood was relieved somewhat in June 1943 when, as a mark of
appreciation W.Bro. Elijah Marsden Warhurst presented to the Lodge three books
of particular Masonic interest, and quite possibly of considerable antique value.
They were:-
1. Memorials of the Masonic Union.
2. Constitutions of the Freemasons - 1723.
3. The New Book of Constitutions, 1738.
In June 1944 when, at last, the outcome of the war was beginning to become
apparent, Grand Lodge, in the light of events, issued a circular on the "Aims and
Relationships of the Craft". Its sentiments are still valid; it sets out, "in extenso", the
basic principles in which we all believe.
The war ended, at last, and the Craft, and the Lodge, heaved a collective sigh of
relief. Many of our brethren had served in the Armed Forces, indeed some had been
initiated and their progress was then halted until they returned with the coming of
peace. In October 1945 the Lodge was enabled to celebrate the peace along with
the City when W.Bro. F. W. Goodyear, J.P., P.P.G.W., was honoured with the
freedom of the City of Durham for "long and faithful service to the City".
As good an opportunity for a celebration as any.
To add to the list of treasures presented to the Lodge, a most interesting gift was
made in September 1946. Bro. Albert William Dent, Master Mason, of Lydda Lodge,
Sarafand, Palestine, on the occasion of his first visit to an English Lodge presented
an ornamental Gavel. The head was of stone hewn from King Solomon's Quarries,
while the shaft was of olive wood from a tree on the Mount of Olives.
This was followed in March 1949 by the gift of a Silver Trowel presented by
Bro. Joshua George Hammond, to mark his 25 years in the Craft.
The Trowel we still have; unfortunately, the Gavel cannot be traced.
With the resumption of peacetime activities, the Lodge settled down to uneventful yet
productive work. This state of affairs continued unabated until Freemasonry again
suffered a grievous loss. In February 1952, King George VI, Past Grand Master,
died. The minutes again reflect the sorrow of the nation, the Craft, and the Lodge.
As one would expect, the Lodge has been intimately concerned with the Masonic
Charities since its formation. Both national and provincial charities benefited from its
d onations, and in addition it had its own local charitable needs under constant watch.
While not impossible, it would nevertheless make uninteresting reading, to list all the
charitable donations which the Lodge has made over the years. We propose,
therefore, to pick out a few highlights in the Lodge's history of connections with the
charities to indicate how these connections have changed both in size and in
organisation.
In the very early years charity collections were made on merely an "Ad Hoc" basis
and it was not until 1873 that a properly organised system of collection was
arran ged. Even then the system devised was quite rudimentary compared with the
scale of the organisation which is evident today. In April 1873 it was proposed that
ea ch member should make a regular monthly contribution sufficient to give a total for
the Lodge of £5.5.0. per annum. At the end of the year a ballot was to be held when the
lucky member would have the 5 guineas donated to the charity of his choice.
The scheme described above was solely for the distribution of funds subscribed by
individual members. In addition, donations to the various charities were made by the
Lodge from accumulated Lodge funds and, in May 1888 we find a donation of
10 guineas being made to the Royal Masonic Institution for Girls. The voting power
conferred by a donation of this size were authorised by the Lodge to be invested in
the senior Warden's chair. Subsequent years saw voting rights in favour of the other
national charities and also of provincial charities being vested in other chairs and in
other offices of the Lodge.
Of the three major national charities, the Royal Masonic Institution for Girls has
perhaps benefited most, probably as befits the oldest of these organisations.
The difference, however, is only marginal and the Royal Masonic Benevolent
Institution and the Royal Masonic Institution for Boys do not fall far behind.
Our connections with all three are strong and letters received over the years testify
to the generosity of our Lodge and of its members.
Our first successful petition to the RMIG was accepted in 1882. It was not until 1921,
however, that we secured the admission of a boy to the RMIB, and consequently to
the Royal Masonic School for Boys, at Bushey. (Perhaps it may be as well to point
out here that admission to the benefits of either the Institution for girls or the Institution
for Boys does not necessarily mean admission to the respective schools.
Both institutions cater, in addition to their boarding-school capacity, for what is termed
out-education; where assistance is given towards:- fees, clothing, holiday allowances
etc., etc., for children who either cannot be accommodated at the schools, or whose
surviving parents do not wish them to leave home).
The three charities mentioned above, all organise, or have organised on their behalf,
annual festivals, presided over by the Provincial or District Grand Master of a different
Province or District, each year. As things stand today, Durham's turn comes round
every ten years and, we are happy to report, the amount raised by the Province is
continually rising, so too is the amount subscribed by Norman Lodge.
The Lodge supports the Provincial Charities with the same devotion as those
mentioned above. Voting rights in these local charities were conferred upon various
offices of the Lodge as far back as 1888. Regular donations from Lodge funds have
been made almost since the Lodge was consecrated, and these have steadily
increased year by year.
For many years it has been the practice, when the Masonic year was drawing to a
close, for a resolution to be passed calling for a large donation to be made to
"Durham Masonic Charities". Since the thirties this has rarely, if ever, been less
than 50 guineas, and has frequently been more. A number of our brethren in
straitened circumstances have been helped by these local charities and we are all
indebted to those who administer them on our behalf.
Charities outside the body of Freemasonry have also been well supported by this
Lodge. Such organisations may be outside the ambit of Freemasonry; the spirit
behind the support for them is, however, wholly Masonic. In 1897 we responded to
an appeal made on behalf of famine victims in India; 1900 witnessed a donation to
our South African brethren during the Boer War; and in 1908, as described in a
previous chapter, the Lodge generously supported an appeal by the Provisional
Grand Master on behalf of the workless poor in the Tyne/Tees industrial towns.
During the First World War donations were sent to a number of Armed Forces
comfort funds, and also to various refugee organisations. Victims of a Japanese
earthquake disaster were aided in 1924; and during the 1930's Durham County
Hospital was a regular recipient of fairly substantial donations. The Second World
War produced a similar response to that shown during 1914-18. In fact, no appeal
delivered from outside the Craft ever, so far as can be ascertained, went unheard or unanswered.
Amongst the items under discussion by the Lodge Management Committee when it began making arrangements to celebrate the Centenary IN 1970, was the subject of a suitable charitable donation.
One Thousand Guineas was the target figure, and was been handsomely achieved.
The question of raising 1000 guineas provided much food for thought, a fair amount
of financial "put-and-take" and no little effort on the part of the Committee, and in
particular the Treasurer. Therefore, one of the legacies which we shall leave for our
successors to assist them in 2070 is a Trust Fund, shortly to be set up, whereby
2000 guineas (or its 21st century equivalent) is available for a suitable charitable
gift for the Province on the occasion of our Bi-Centenary.
Another major source of satisfaction during this period was the organisation by
the Province, of the 1969 Festival on behalf of The Royal Masonic Institution for Girls.
As a result of a resolution passed in April 1962 the proceeds of annual Social
Evenings (with the exception of 5 guineas annually to the Durham Masonic Hall
Management Committee) went to the Royal Masonic Institution for Girls 1969
Festival Fund. Additionally 80 guineas yearly was also allocated to the fund from
Lodge funds, and £500 was allocated in September 1968.
To all this must be added the individual contributions of the majority of Lodge
members, many of whom ultimately became Stewards of the Festival.
The Province collected the largest sum it had ever collected for such a Festival.
To do this it called upon Lodges to beat their previous records for former festivals, and
we are happy to report that Norman Lodge exceeded its target by a considerable sum.
May we all, as this Lodge and its members have done so far,"….remember the
peculiar moment we were received into Masonry, .…….., and cheerfully embrace
the opportunity of practising that …… we have professed to admire".
Many of you will no doubt recall the celebration in 1966 of Freemasonry's 250th
anniversary. This was to be marked with a massive donation by the Craft to the
Royal College of Surgeons to endow a research chair at the College for the
benefit of mankind as a whole. The donation took the form of the Collection of £1
from each individual member of the Craft. Lodges achieving their own target in this
respect were accorded the right to a 250th Anniversary Jewel, to be worn on the
Master's Collar. That Jewel can be seen just above the point of our own
Worshipful Master's Collar in evidence of our success in this wonderful scheme.
Another Jewel (see photograph above) which can be seen suspended from a light-blue collarette at our W.M.'s neck is unique to Norman Lodge. It was a gift to the Lodge to mark its Centenary, in September 1970.
"W.Bro. G. W. Milner, Assistant Director of Ceremonies, presented to the
Worshipful Master a most distinctive Jewel to be worn by future Worshipful
Masters on Lodge evenings (including the Festive Board), and social events.
The Jewel was paid for and given to the Lodge by W.Bro. C. G. Duncan W.M.,
and W.Bro. N. S. Williamson, I.P.M. It is circular, approximately 2½ inches in
diameter, and solid gold. The City of Durham Coat of arms form the centre
(a red cross on a black background). Circumscribed around the Coat of Arms,
"Norman Lodge 1870-1970". The following is inscribed on the reverse:-
"Presented by Dr. C. G. Duncan, W.M. 1970, and W.Bro. N. S. Williamson,
I.P.M."
Many tributes were made on the beauty of workmanship and on the generosity shown
by our W. Master and I.P.M."
The Centenary Year proved to be a most happy and successful period for the
Lodge. We were joined by our Ladies and friends in the Centenary Ball, which was a truly delightful affair held in Durham Castle on Friday, 25th November 1970, and the crowning moment, was the actual Centenary Celebration itself. Our thanks to the Dean and Chapter of
Durham Cathedral for allowing us the use of the Chapter house for the Ceremony:
a most fitting setting for an event of this nature. The Dean's invitation to attend
Evensong, prior to the Ceremony, was also warmly appreciated.
Two major highlights of the Ceremony in the Chapter House were, firstly the
presentation of a cheque for 1000 guineas to R.W. The Provincial Grand Master,
towards Masonic Charities and , secondly the consecration of a Centenary Banner.
The former denotes the Lodge's appreciation and thanksgiving for a hundred years
of successful Masonic life; the latter is a personal tribute paid by one of our members,
Bro. Frank Bailey, who is solely responsible for the design and execution.
It is fitting, as well as being a charming coincidence, that the Centenary Banquet, so
well prepared and arranged by the management of the Three Tuns Hotel, should be
held at that hotel. The Consecration Banquet was staged by Mr. & Mrs. Brown,
Hosts of the Three Tuns, a hundred years ago. How better to round off a century of
achievement and progress?
1970 - 2006
1993 The W.Master W. Bro. Alan Dufton, a very keen golfer, organised the first Norman Lodge Golf Day for Mason and friends in Durham. So successful was the event, it has continued for 14 years, and raised in excess of £10,000 for charity.

Appendix "A"
OFFICERS OF THE LODGE 1870
Bro. Rev. George Robert Bulman …… ….............Master.
Bro. John Wortley ….. ….. ……. …… …… …… .J. W.
Bro. Rev. John Cundill …. ….. ……. ….. …… …..Chaplain.
Bro. Richardson Peele ….. … ……. …… …… ....Treasurer.
Bro. William Donkin …. ….. ….. ….. ….. ….. ……Secretary.
Bro. William Sarsfield ….. ….. ….. ….. ….. ….. ....S.D.
Bro. Robert Cooke ….. ….. ….. ….. ….. ….. …… I.G.
Bro. George Greenwell ….. ….. ….. ….. ….. ….....Steward.
Bro. William Singlehurst ….. ….. ….. ….. …… ….Tyler.

Appendix "B"
OFFICERS OF THE LODGE 1970
W.Bro. Cecil Gibson Duncan …… …… ….. .........Master.
W.Bro. Norman Sewell Williamson …....................I.P.M.
Bro. Arthur William Woods ….. …… …… ….. …..S.W.
Bro. George Pennington ….. ….. …… …… …….J.W.
W.Bro. Arthur William Woods, P.Prov.A.G.D.C... Chaplain.
W.Bro. Joseph Banks Lawson, P.Prov.G.D. ……Treasurer.
W.Bro. John Fitzpatrick ….. …… …… ….. …… ..Secretary.
W.Bro. George Dent, P.Prov.G.D. …… ….. ….. ..Director of Ceremonies.
Bro. Dick Atkinson ….. …… ….. ….. ….. …… … S.D.
Bro. Frank Bailey …… …… …… …… ….. ….. …J.D.
W.Bro. George Wallace Milner ……. ….. ….. ….. Asst. Director of Ceremonies.
W.Bro. William Sherrington Searle P.Prov.G.D. ...Almoner.
Bro. Robert Ronald Byers Lamb …… …… ……..Organist.
Bro. Stanley Moody …… …… …… …… …… …Asst. Secretary.
Bro. John Reginald Stout …… …… …… ……… I.G.
Bro. Robert Atkinson …… …… …… …… …… ..Steward.
Bro. John Fletcher Chisholm …… …… …… …...Steward.
Bro. William Tyrell Clark …… …… …… …… …..Steward.
Bro. Harry Bradley …… …… …… …… …… .......Steward.
Bro. John Charlton Reay …… …… …… …….......Steward.
Bro. Arthur Robert Fowler …… …… …… …… ....Steward.
Bro. Ernest Scott …… …… …… …… …… ….....Steward.
Bro. Wilfred Armory Jones …… …… …… ...........Steward.
Bro. Thomas Gibson …… …… …… …… ............Steward.
Bro. Lawrence Embleton …… …… …… ……......Steward.
Bro. John Thomas Montgomery Ayton …… ..........Steward.
Bro. Norman William Duke …… …… …… ….......Steward.
Bro. Gilbert Morris …… …… …… …… …… .......Steward.
Representative on the Provincial Benevolent Committee:
Bro. Lawrence Embleton
Representative for the 1979 Festival in aid of the Royal Masonic Benevolent Institution:
W.Bro. James Anthony Elliot


Appendix "C"
MEMBERS OF NORMAN LODGE - 1970
C. R. Alderson W. Davies R. R. B. Lamb
D. F. Alderson C. T. Davison J. B. Lawson
E. Allison F. B. Dennison H. L. Laybourne
J. E. Anderson G. Dent C. Lee
B. G. Atkinson R. Dobson M. J. Liddle
C. Atkinson W. H. Dodds F. Lowes
K. R. Atkinson G. A. Duke G. D. Lowes
R. Atkinson C. G. Duncan A. Lyall
J. R. Arkless N. C. P. Lyall
H. Armitage V. H. Edwards
J. T. M. Ayton A. Elcoat C. Machin
J. A. Elliott R. Marshall
F. Bailey T. O. Eltringham T. W. Martindale
T. Barnfather K. Embleton R. Mason
S. Barrett L. Embleton J. Mein
W. Bates K. B. Errington G. Middlemass
R. L. Beever H. Middlemass
J. W. Bell S. Firth J. Middlemass
P. W. Bell J. Fitzpatrick T. Middlemass
J. D. Best N. T. Fleming I. Milburn
W. A. Bicknell A. R. Fowler J. Millican
F. A. Blanch B. Funnell G. W. Milner
G. Bloomfield D. M. Moir
F. Borthwick E. J. Gadd A. Mole
W. Bowey E. A. Gallimore D. Mole
A. E. Bowman T. Gibson T. H. Mole
H. Bradley B. O. Gilson S. Moody
G. W. Buckle J. W. Gilson G. Moore
R. Burdess J. W. Golightly R. Moore
L. Burnley G. Morris
W. L. Burton T. M. Harding A. Murrie
H. G. Harris
S. J. Cannon T. H. Harrison J. P. Oliver
J. Carmen W. Harrison
R. M. Carson R. L. Henderson G. W. Palmer
J. F. Chisholm R. Hindmarsh L. Parkinson
W. J. Chitty E. H. Hope J. Patterson
R. A. Clark J. Hopper S. H. Patterson
R. N. Clark M. Horseman G. Pennington
W. T. Clark R. Hudspeth
F. J. Close C. R. Hughes
J. R. Cogan R. Husband C. Rand
B. Cooper T. Reather
F. Cooper J. C. Reay
J. Copeland F. P. Jackson W. N. Reay
T. Cosgrove S. Jobson R. L. Render
R. Cowell J. M. Johnson G. W. Renney
G. Cox P. B. Johnson W. Richardson
H. Crow W. A. Jones R. W. Ridley
L. Cummings
C. Curry A. Kingston E. Scott
G. Curry G. A. Knox N. H. Searle

LISTOF MEMBERSOF NORMAN LODGE - 1970 (continued)
W. S. Searle J. Taylor R. W. Wheatley
R. C. Shepherd T. B. Taylor T. Wheatley
W. A. H. Shepherd J. R. Temple F. S. Whitfield
J. C. Simpson G. Thompson H. Williams
W. F. Simpson H. A. Trennery N. S. Williamson
F. Smith P. Turner H. Wilson
F. Smith J. E. Tyrer J. A. Wilson
T. V. Snaith N. Wilson
P. G. Sproule H. J. Usher N. S. Wilson
D. Stokoe A. E. Worthy
J. R. Stout R. Worthy
R. A. Stout C. H. Ward A. W. Woods
S. Sutherland J. Watson A. W. Woods
T. Westhorp A. M. Wright

A[ppendix "G" (i)
NORMAN LODGE No. 1334
CENTENARY
(1870 - 1970)
Centenary Meeting held in the Chapter House, Durham Cathederal
Wednesday, 2nd December 1970
AGENDA
1. To Open the Lodge.
2. To read the dispensation.
3. To receive the R.W. Provincial Grand Master and Officers of Provincial Grand lodge.
4. The Minutes of the First Meeting, held on Monday, 28th November 1870, will be
read by the Secretary.
5. The Centenary Warrant will be read by the Provincial Grand Secretary.
6. Presentation of the Centenary Warrant to the Worshipful Master by the R.W.
Provincial Grand Master.
7. A New Banner, presented by Bro. F. Bailey, will be dedicated.
8. Oration by the Provincial Grand Chaplain.
9. The Worshipful Master will give a short address on the history of the lodge.
10. To Close the Lodge.

Appendix "G" (ii)
NORMAN LODGE No. 1334
CENTENARY
(1870 - 1970)
Centenary Banquet held at the Three Tuns Hotel, Elvet, Durham
Wednesday, 2nd December 1970
MENU
Parma Ham - Melon
------
Irish Broth Sprinkled with Shamrock
------
Poached Galway Bay Salmon - Shrimp Sauce
------
Roast Sirloin of Beef - Horseradish Sauce
------
Roast and Croquet Potatoes
Garden Peas - Broccoli Spears
------
Norman Sparkler
------
Cheese Board
------
Dessert
------
Fondants
------

Coffee






©2012: Norman Lodge No. 1334